Stoke Place near Slough
Our inflatable photo booth was in action at Stoke Place near Slough last night at the very busy wedding of the Iaciofano’s, an Irish Italian union
Built by Patrick Lamb in 1690 Stoke Place near Slough is situated in Stoke Poges, between Slough and Gerrards Cross, close to Black Park. For about 50 years Patrick Lamb was Master Cook to several Kings and Queens.
Patrick Lamb was born in 1650 and his father was Patrick Lamb (1613-1683) who was the sole merchant of wine, spirits and tobacco in the Whitehall area. His mother was Martha Russell. In 1672 he married Mary Froswell at St Marylebone Church. The couple had four children three sons and one daughter.
Patrick started his career at a very early age as pastry assistant and rose rapidly in the hierarchy of the kitchen staff. He became very prosperous and wrote a very well-known book called “Royal Cookery” which is still available today. In 1685 he prepared King James II Coronation Feast which was described in detail by Francis Sandiford in his book.] The King was so pleased with his work that he gave him a large number of gold coins.
After Patrick built Stoke Place near Slough in 1690 he continued to work as the Master Cook for the Queen Anne. When he died in 1708 the property appears to have been inherited by his son William Lamb. In 1764 Field marshall Sir George Howard bought the estate and it became his family’s home for the next 200 years.
Field Marshal Sir George Howard lived at Stoke Place near Slough from 1764 until 1796. He was born in 1718 into a military family and had a very distinguished military career and in 1763 was appointed Colonel of the 7th (the Queens Own) Regiment of Dragoons. The following year he bought Stoke Place. Howard commissioned Stiff Leadbetter to add two wings to the house over the next few years. Capability Brown the famous landscape architect, recorded in his account book that from 1765 until 1767 he constructed a lake with islands for which he charged 800 pounds.
In 1747 he married Lady Lucy Wentworth and had one daughter Ann Howard. Unfortunately his wife died in 1771 and he then married Elizabeth Beckford. While he lived at Stoke Place the King and Queen made numerous visits to the house which were reported in the newspapers of that time. When he died in 1853 Richard Henry Howard-Vyse (1813-1872) inherited the property. After his death Howard Henry Howard-Vyse (1858-1927) his eldest son became the owner. When he died in 1927 his eldest son Richard Granville Hylton Howard-Vyse inherited the house.
Richard and his wife lived at Stoke Place near Slough until his death in 1962. After this it was sold to South Bucks District Council. It operated as a hotel and conference centre, under lease from the Council and under the management of Novtej and Sarina Dhillon until January 2016 when it was acquired by Cairn Hotel Group.